Friday, August 19, 2005

One Hand Typing

My physical condition doesn’t allow me to use conventional typing method by using both hands; even though I know the method that was taught in Typing Institutes in olden days. I used a small typewriter in my student days, the keys of which were hard and it used to take me ages to even complete a sentence. Generally, I depended on the generosity of my siblings and friends to help me with my work.

Then the computer came. It significantly improved my typing skills, and, the familiarity with the typewriter helped. I never considered the lack of speed as a shortcoming because I could achieve maximum 8 to 10 words per minutes, which was phenomenal when compared to earlier days.

But it all changed a couple of weeks back when I read a write-up on Touch Typing by my friend Alexis Leon on his weblog. It motivated me to think that there is scope for improvement. I wrote him asking if there was anything that would improve my typing speed.

He sent me the URL of One Hand Typing, a site by Lilly Walters, an expert one hand typist who can type 80 words per minute. It amazed me so I downloaded a sample manual offered on her site to see if I could adopt some techniques from there.

I must say that Lilly Walters’ site helps you to develop a “Can Do It” attitude that helps you immensely.

4 comments:

harimohan said...

paresh
i admire you for what you are

Terry said...

Dear Paresh, Thank you for your kind words at Amrita's.
I am a little tired but after my operation, I am sure that I will have to spend days at home and so I will come to visit you.
Thank you......from Terry, Amrita's friend..from Ontario, Canada

Tanishta said...

Hi. It was nice to hear from a fellow blogger the feeling of getting published in a newspaper or magazine. it fills the empty space in ur heart somewhere when u see ur name published. u r doing a gr8 job in maintaining ur blog and i wish u all the best in whatever u do. Keep penning. Cheers!

krshna74 said...

Hi Paresh,

Just wondering if you have already tried or looked at this software - http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/products/editions/home.asp